Thursday 3 February 2011

Further look at Opening Sequences

To merely gather a further understanding of opening sequences to assure that our opening sequence includes as many conventions as possible, I watched a few opening sequences of different genre of films. I attempted to analyse what works within a sequence and what doesn't.

The first of the opening sequences that I watched was from "Mission Impossible". From watching it for a first time through, although a very short opening sequence, I thought it was very effective. To target the audience it has included elements of the key conventions, one of which is the audio. "Mission Impossible" has a very distinctive soundtrack, in which is the main focus of this opening sequence. The visual shots themselves do not deem as important as the audio in this opening, merely because visually not much happens. The shots are very short and sharp, where the audience do not receive a detailed view of what each element of the shot entails. I thought this was clever in adding effect; perhaps adding a sense of mystery on what the film is about. Through looking at the computers, ID cards, close up shots of the protagonist and several close up shots of objects within the sequence, the audience are aware of the crime genre of the film, yet not much of the narrative has been revealed. This opening sequence I thought was very simplistic, yet extremely effective merely due to the use of audio.

Another opening sequence I watched was from "Catch Me If You Can". An immediate difference I noticed between this and "Mission Impossible" was the fact that this one was all animation and had no live action shots. However it could be argued this one is equally as effective. The audio included in this title sequence is jazz style music for the duration of it; giving the animation a mysterious feel, which when I watched it did grasp my attention. The links between each animated shot are very clever and well produced, however I thought the opening sequence seemed very similar for the whole way through and due to the long nature of it eventually lost my attention. This I thought was the only downfall to this opening sequence. I do think it is effective in portraying the mystery genre of the film, and proves that animation can be just as effective as live action.

Alongside looking at opening sequences from existing films, I went on YouTube and searched for some produced by media students in order to see what looks effective and anything that our group could learn from. I found "Scapegoat: Horror Opening Sequence (AS Media Studies Coursework)" and thought it was a high standard example of the genre of film my group aim to produce. The simple audio of howling wind and a strange atmosphere gives an instant effect, where it is further emphasised through the close up shots. However the element that most impressed me on this video was through the use of editing; shots have been manpulated in the way that some look like they have almost been fast forwarded. This definately gave an eerie effect to the opening sequence and I thought was an extremely effective method of editing. Although the only critiscism of this video I could point out is the repetition of this effect. They have put the fast forward effect in the film throughout the whole of it; hence becoming less and less effective each time. I think it would have been better through using less of these and concentrating on the different types of shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment